5 HK Tech Innovators Win Talent Unleashed Awards
Aiming to recognize achievement of tech talents in Asia Pacific, the Talent Unleashed Awards 2014 on Monday announced the regional winners. The judging panel of the award includeed renowned regional and global entrepreneurs like Virgin Group founder Richard Branson, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Hong Kong-based Yat Siu, founder and CEO of Outblaze and other successful Asia Pacific tech innovators.
The five Hong Kong winners represent five different categories: best start up, rising star, community impact, inspirational leadership and digital content. They will compete with winners from other regions for the global prize – a five day business mentoring workshop at the Branson Centre for Entrepreneurship in South Africa during Global Entrepreneurs Week in November.
“The Talent Unleashed Awards are important across the Asia Pacific region,” said the serial entrepreneur Richard Branson. “Cities such as Hong Kong, Singapore, Auckland, Sydney, and Melbourne are alive with these brilliant technological minds and we need to encourage them to stand-up and be recognized.”
“Start-ups have only recently started to show up on the radar of the Hong Kong government,” added Yat Siu. “Hong Kong is producing a growing number of technology entrepreneurs and examples of business innovation, demonstrating the ingenuity and never-give-up character of local innovators.”
Showing its roots as a business capital, among the five Hong Kong winners, two of them are in the payment systems industry. The five winners include:
- Daniel Chan won the Rising Star Award. Chan is a founder of Cashyou, a person-to-person local payment system and e-wallet app that aims to enable small payments between friends.
- Aurelien Menant won the Best Start Up Award. Menant is the CEO and founder of Gatecoin, an exchange aim to enable safe and reliable transactions of digital currencies like Bitcoin and Litecoin.
- Karen Farzam won the Inspirational Leadership Award. As a co-founder of W Hub, Farzam built this networking organization to connect entrepreneurs with like-minded engineers, marketing specialists and business experts.
- Sunny Kok won the Digital Content Award. Kwok is the CEO of mobile technology and enterprise specialists Green Tomato and the creator of Hong Kong Movie.
- Paul Lee won the Community Impact Award. He co-invented a hearing enhancement technology which incorporates the services of hearing professionals into any mobile device.
The Talent Unleashed Awards global winners will be announced simultaneously at events in held in Auckland, Sydney, Hong Kong and Singapore on July 31st.
This article originally appeared in ComputerWorld